Sunday, October 22, 2006

In mid-move

I just have a second but wanted to let everyone know that I might not have access to the Internet for a week or two. Getting hooked up in Tokyo very often takes a month, from my past experience, so I'm being optimistic saying it will only be a week or two. If it looks like it's going to be a while, I'll try to post from an Internet cafe.

For having such a small room (but with one large--by Japanese standards--closet), it sure seems to be taking me a long time to get moved! I've tried to sort and clean things as I went, so maybe that's caused some delays. My bed, sofa (very tiny!), TV (big, bulky and ugly, but hey, it was free!) and nightstand will be picked up and delivered to the new place today. Everything else has been moved 5 blocks either on a hand-cart, or in the back seat and trunk of a friend's car. She had an hour to help me yesterday, so that was great. Unfortunately, today it's raining, so I don't know how I'll get the rest of the things moved, including my futon, comforter, curtains, bathroom stuff and dishes. Since I have a few more days before the demolition starts on the house, I can take a few cart-loads if the rain stops soon. Then it's back to work with a very full schedule this week and working two days from 8:30am to 9:15pm. Ugh!

So, that's about it for now. Again, I promise pictures soon!

2 comments:

EuroTrippen said...

Ugh, there's nothing worse than moving! Hopefully you've settled into your new place by now...

Courtney said...

Christmas in Japan is a little surreal... its sort of the Secular Christmas that the religious nutcases live in constant fear of back home. I've always ended up doing very un-Christmasy things, like going to the cinema to see a movie. Last year we had a pizza party on Christmas eve in the lobby of Berlitz... J, M-san, M&J were all there, and a few other people, probably S too. and there was beer. In short, a good thing.

You will find, I think, that you can find a good time here if you look for it. Ganbare little muffin!