Monday, April 10, 2006

Enchiladas in Tokyo!



Went out with friends last weekend who suggested a terrific Mexican restaurant in Harajuku. I've eaten some Mexican food in Tokyo, and while tasty, it wasn't exactly like what I was used to eating in the U.S. I grew up on Mexican food in Tucson, Arizona, and have a particular palate for salsas, Mexican cheese, and the quality of the mole and chipotle sauces.

I ordered a triple enchilada plate. The corn enchiladas were filled with succulent and tender pieces of chicken bathed in three different sauces: salsa verde, chipotle, and the more traditional red sauce. It was hard to choose a favorite, but I'd probably lean toward the smoky and spicy flavored chipotle sauce.

This meal was authentic! There was even a strolling Mariachi band and delicious shaken Margaritas.




The down side was that Fonda de la Madrugada is a very long walk from the Meiji Jingumae station and it sits at the bottom of a long staircase which made me feel like I was going down into a dungeon. Another negative was the extremely claustrophobic, faintly lit, and smelly restrooms.

No comments: