Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I miss seeing the stars at night

I miss seeing stars and the beauty of the night sky. Since I've been in Tokyo all I see is the ambient light of a big city. Coming home from work late in the evening, I've been lucky enough to see the past two full moons, but that's about all I've been able to see. There's no depth to the sky. It looks pale and flat. I want to look up and see brightly twinkling stars, or perhaps a few planets. I suppose I should get used to the fact that I'm living in a city of over 20 milion and the odds of seeing any stars at all or a deep indigo sky are remote.

Over the past few days there have been major solar flares ejected out into space by our sun. Some parts of the world have been lucky enough to witness an astounding aurora borealis display. I remember seeing those a few times when I lived in Seattle and will never forget those shimmering colors sliding across the twilight sky.

Put away the fireworks and other silly attempts to entertain. Nothing matches the beauty or magnitude of what Mother Nature dishes out.

No comments: